Oh, I am hopping mad right now! Here's a little background...
Kaiya has been SO excited for school. She is a bright little girl and so eager to learn. I am not under the impression that I have a perfect child, but she's generally a happy little person. I've been so excited to see her enjoy this first year of school, because this is going to shape how she feels about school for a long time.
When I initially found out who her teacher was, I had some concerns. Out of the multiple kindergarten teachers at our school, Kaiya got the only one that I'd heard a lot of negative things about. I'd had more than a few people tell me that they personally had had some problems with her, or knew of someone who had.
I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and see how things went. I became a little more concerned at Kaiya's kindergarten evaluation when I could barely hear this woman speak and noticed a strong speech impediment. I'm not trying to be mean, but kindergartener's need someone who can speak loudly and clearly, and even as an adult I could barely understand what this woman was saying. Additionally, she was one of the least personable people I have ever met in my life. I usually picture kindergarten teachers as happy, cute, excited people who love kids and at least have a desire to be around them. I certainly didn't get that from Kaiya's teacher at all.
After only two days of school, I've felt strongly that I've got to get Kaiya out of this class. Instead of being happy and excited, she comes home depressed, saying she's bored and hates school. That is NOT even close to how she usually is. She's just so unhappy there! She doesn't like the teacher (can't say that I blame her) and they are starting to work on things that Kaiya already knows, so she just doesn't feel like doing it at all.
I've tried to have a good attitude around her and convince her that some of it is going to be review and she needs to just go along with what the class is doing. She said, "Mom, she just puts me in a group and we have to work on writing our name over and over. I know how to write my name and I'm bored! Then she tried to make me take a nap and then I was with the same dumb group doing letters I already know!" She's just so unhappy and normally not like this at all, and I've felt that before this gets worse, we've got to get her out of there and in to ANY other kindergarten class.
So today I called the school and asked for an appointment to speak with the principal. I was told that he's a very busy man and he'd call me when he could, so I left them my number and waited for a call to let me know when I could go over to talk to him.
He called a few hours later and asked if "we could just do this over the phone". I said that would be fine, and proceeded to explain the problem. When he initially tried to brush me off, I asked why this teacher that I've heard nothing but negative things about is still teaching at our school. His genius reply was, "Well, we've had some parents with problems with her, but I'm sure there's some that like her as well. She's a fine teacher."
I also said that I'm willing to switch to any other teacher, morning or afternoon.
He said, "I have no other spots available. She's not going to be able to switch."
He just seemed very heartless and unconcerned with the whole thing, and the entire time I was on the phone with him (all three minutes) I felt that all he wanted to do was shut me up and get rid of me as soon as he could.
I said, "This is a public school and I should have some say in my child's education. She and I are both unhappy with this teacher and I want her in a different class immediately, so what's my next step?"
He replied, "Well, Mrs. Smallwood (this is all said in a drawling, very condecending voice, by the way) you can move her to another school to get her in a different class, but I'm not switching her. There's Meadow Elementary or some of those charter schools, so I guess you can start looking."
WHA????
So my tax dollars pay for his salary, and this is what I get? No help, no consideration, no nothing? He really was such a jerk and I am furious. My whole afternoon has been spent figuring out who I can get a hold of next and if there IS a charter school with spots available at this point.
I am not spending the next 15 years of my life dealing with this moron as my children's principal.
7 years ago
10 comments:
Call his boss, that is not how you should be treated. What a mean man, and an awful sounding teacher for sweet Kaiya, I guess that is why there are so many charter schools down here. Good luck!
WOW, I have heard both good and bad things about this teacher. Several negative. If it were me, I would go to the school and tell them that your daughter needs to be switched to afternoon. Make up an excuse. There are plenty of parents who would love to have morning. They will probably tell you she has to have a different teacher if she changes, but who cares, thats what you're after. And if its not a new teacher then oh well you tried. Good Luck.
You could try talking to the assistant principal, Tiffani Hacken, and if she doesn't help then let her know you are on your way to the district. Meeting in person is more effective--maybe ask when you can meet with her without giving the reason beforehand. Ask for the lists of each classroom, morning and afternoon, if they say there isn't room. Maybe one of the other sessions has one less kid than hers. Maybe one of the teachers would be okay with having another student. You might be able to get them to agree first and then take that to the assistant principal. Who knows? Good luck!!
Do you want me to throw the principal in your pond?
Yeah, I think it's time to go over his head, or throw him in a pond. I flipped out last year on the man, maybe he still hasn't recovered. But I know a lot of parents who have had a hard time dealing with him. For some reason Emma LOVES him though.
As for what is happening these first few weeks of kindergarten it is a ton of review. Especially if the kid has been to preschool. Even Noah in 1st grade is reviewing writing all of the alphabet and numbers 1-20. But as for the principal...I had a horrible experience the first day of school last year when I went to drop off Noah. I pulled up in the drop off lane and stepped out just a second to walk him to the gate. The principal upon seeing me get out of my car said," Hey you can't park here you need to move." I said, "I am just walking my son to the gate and I will be leaving right away." To which he replied, "Here...I will take him!" He grabbed Noah's arm and led him away from me and into the kindergarten playground. No hug goodbye, no have a great day Noah. I drove away sobbing! I am all for going over his head to the district. They will be able to A:pull some strings to switch Kaiya to a new class or B: recommend any near by schools that could take her. Talk to MaryKate. She takes Eva to a different public school in North Lehi. You might even be able to carpool. Getting into a charter school at this point might just be a headache!
I hate to defend the bad guy...but hey I am a teacher I understand a little of the stress the 1st week has in store for people in public education (if you want a doozy of a story call me). If you really think it is going to be a problem I would say talk to the P. one more time in person and lay it out in a logical manner (something like "I think my daughter would excel in a class that... and it concerns me that..."). Then if that doesn't work move up the ladder. I feel bad she is coming home sad though, she is such a good girl! I hope everything works out!!!!
I am sorry! That principal is not very "hands on" and he is retiring soon! Call me if you want an inside scoop! And you CAN get what you want, the district will do more for parents than they will for teachers. Don't give up! I would definitely talk to him again and then call the district. And I know what teacher you are talking about...
Okay so we need an update...what have you done/decided to do?
Honestly, it's one of those things that just sucks, because if I KNEW what the right thing is for Kaiya, I would move heaven and earth to get it done. Put her in a different school? Fine. Fight to get her in a different class? I'd do that too. Just stick with it and be very involved and hope it gets better? I just don't know. If I knew the right course of action I'd take it. Right now I just can't decide what is best. We've even played with the option of pulling her out altogether for the year and starting up at a charter school for first grade. Surely I could keep her up-to-speed. For social reasons, I don't think that's the answer either. Really I'm just praying and hoping I figure out something.
I have reported the principal to the district. I'm not sure anyone gives a care, but at least it's documented. Knowing now he's planning to retire soon, I'm not sure he or anyone else cares how he acts this year.
Anyway, there's the pointless update. :)
Post a Comment