It's slightly cooler outside than it's been in a while, so I told the girls this morning that we were going to go on a nice, long walk. Kaiya and Emmie armed themselves with their bug-catchers (Kaiya is still obsessed with bugs) and off we went.
Now, I'm not really an outdoorsy kind of girl. I love nature, I just hate the creepy-crawly things that come along with it. I have fallen in love with the "wetlands" and trails that are near our home. They're just minutes away, and it feels like an escape from the neighborhood. There are beautiful plants and trees and the girls and I love walking out there.
Today we chose the trail that is just a bit north of our home. I decided to go there because, unlike the big trails, it is not near the river. I was hoping to avoid the multitude of mosquitoes we enjoy this time of year.
Instead, we encountered thousands upon thousands of grasshoppers. They covered the trail and were hopping around in every direction while we stomped through them. They were HUGE. Kaiya was in heaven. All she really had to do was hold her bug catcher in the air, and in one flew.
Kaiya, as usual, was talking constantly.
"Mommy, how did that flower turn purple?"
"Heavenly Father made it that way."
"Mommy, I like your shirt today. Why did you choose those earrings?"
No answer.
"Mommy, what are those grasshoppers doing?"
"Ummm, giving piggy-backs, Kaiya."
I walked calmly down the trail, trying to be a grown-up and not lose it while Kaiya chattered away. That lasted about one full minute. At that point I was sure that one of those freakishly large, mutant creatures was either going to land on my head or jump down my shirt. I kid you not, they were EVERYWHERE. I ended up running down the trail shrieking, thankful that I had the stroller in front of me to fend off the worst of the attacks (sorry, Hayden). The girls scampered after me, just trying to keep up. Kaiya kept saying, "Mommy, what is wrong with you? Grasshoppers don't bite! They're fun!"
I was thrilled to come to a side trail that led toward a more residential area and that's the way we walked home. I couldn't take it anymore.
I finally found something that actually motivated me to run.
7 years ago
4 comments:
I hate grasshoppers. I had a very similar experience once. I was literally running through clouds of grasshoppers. I'll have to tell you about it sometime! I can't believe Kaiya likes bugs! Yuck!
That gave me a good laugh! I dont' particularly care for hordes of them either.... one or two is okay as long it's not on my head or down my shirt either!!!!
That was just funny. I especially love the description of the piggy backs rides. Glad you finally found something to make you run like the wind.
We are one in the same this way. In fact I have little spot in my yard with weeds as high as Emma because there are HUNDREDS of grasshoppers living there!! I think the exterminator forgot that spot! I'm still all itchy from reading your blog.
Post a Comment