Tuesday, April 8, 2008

You can't make this stuff up...

I miss my brain.

Once upon a time I saw myself as a relatively intelligent, moderately confident, average kind of girl. Now I'm a ball of hormones and emotions who apparently shouldn't leave the house without writing my personal information on my forehead in permanent marker.

Through the last couple months of this pregnancy I've lost my wallet or purse multiple times, I've forgotten good friends names, forgotten important appointments, lost everything you can possibly lose, and pretty much felt like I'm in some kind of fog. Add to that crying at very embarrassing and inopportune times, and I'm just loads of fun!

Today was an especially ridiculous day.

The kids have a movie they've wanted to see that just came out on video. I've tried to get it for them over the last couple of days, but it's always checked out. Today I was out with the girls running errands, and I checked the "Redbox" to see if the movie was available. I was happy to see it was finally there, and thought it might be a nice thing to occupy the girls tonight while I'm at Young Women's.

I've used Redbox many times, and love how easy and quick it (usually) is. I made my selection, swiped my debit card, and then was asked to key in my zip code to verify my billing address.

It was at this point that I panicked. Yes, I've lived here for over two years now. Yes, I've written my address on countless pieces of mail in that time. But put me on the spot in my current emotional state, and I'm useless.

I tried my old zip code from Orem, which I remember fine. I tried my old zip code from Provo. I tried random numbers that sounded good and popped into my head. Five minutes later I left in frustration...without the movie.

All the way home I was reciting my social security #, my phone number, my address, and the national anthem, all in an attempt to assure myself that I'm not as dumb as I feel. Finally, the zip code occurred to me, but had I turned around to try to get the movie again I would have been late picking up Kaiya from school, so I just kept on driving.

At least I remembered that I have a five year old that is in school and requires picking up. That's something, right?

4 comments:

Heather said...

Soooo funny! I will have times of forgetting how to spell some small word or something like that. I end up calling Travis and asking him how to spell it, to which he usually replies, "You forgot how to spell that?" Oh well, let him have 4 pregnancies and then try to spell something!

Sally said...

Oh how funny/sad! Welcome to the "mommy brain club"!!! I think there is a definite difference with the 4th child! Arg! Don't feel too bad though, you're not alone!

Sherrie said...

you know it's a low point when you forget to spell "of" (uv, ov, uf??)

Heather H said...

Too funny!! I seem to have a hard time remembering my pin number at all the wrong moments. I hope you get the movie to watch soon!