As I think all mom's often do, I occasionally have doubts about this whole mothering thing. For all I know I'm completely ruining my children. Although I like to think I'm doing a decent job, really this is just a trial-and-error kind of thing.
Really what I want most is to have children that are kind to others and compassionate. I have some very blunt daughters (wonder where they got that from?) and there've been multiple times where they've said something not-so-cute, such as, "Mommy, why is your tummy still squishy when there's no baby in there anymore? It's gross!"
Or from Kaiya, as I walk down the stairs, "Are you really going to wear THAT?"
I'm used to these little munchkins and their need to express an opinion on EVERYTHING I see, do, or wear.
As most everyone knows I've had a couple of surgeries on my throat area this past year. The first surgery was healing up quite well, but the second hasn't. It's a pretty nasty, very visible scar - and frankly I have a hard time with it. I almost always wear a necklace or scarf to cover it, or at the very least use multiple layers of makeup to make it less noticeable. I just don't want it to be the first thing people see when they look at me. I'm still pretty sensitive about it.
Anyway, because of all these efforts I've taken to hide it as much as possible, even my children don't see it very often. Today I was half-dressed and cleaning my house. Emmie (my four year old) came up to me with a thoughtful expression on her face and said, "Mom, is that owie on your neck EVER going to get better?" I said, "No Em, it's probably always going to be there." Her eyebrows furrowed, she cocked her head, and I prepared myself for one of the ADORABLE little comments I've grown used to over these last few years of raising children. Instead she said, "Hmm, well, I still think you're pretty, Mommy."
Then I cried like an idiot and was reminded yet again how much I love being a mom.
7 years ago
8 comments:
I agree with Emmie...Tarin you are a beautiful woman inside and out...I think the scar makes you even more beautiful!
Oh ya...one more thought...just after finishing the comment above I thought about my mom who has little "reminders" of her cancer... little tattoos on her chest that they used as guides for her radiation... when ever I see her "reminders" it always makes me grateful and amazed at her strength and courage. Her "reminders" make her even more beautiful to me!
I agree with Heather, you are very beautiful Tarin and just so you know I have never noticed the scars. Your girls are so lucky to have you as their mom, you are so much fun!
Hopefully your name doesn't have to be "Heather" to comment but I will risk it anyways. I won't pretend to know how you feel dealing with the scar but I agree with everyone--you are stunningly beautiful and so talented.
I'm not gonna lie, I got a little teary eyed reading that. That's so sweet. And for the record, I had to look REALLY hard to see the scar. And even then, i could hardly see it at all!
Emmie speaks the truth. The scar doesn't matter to who you really are. It's a symbol that you have been strong, courageous, full of faith and have endured.
I think your scar is horrific and gross and I'm glad you keep it covered because it scares me... You know I'm kidding. I'm just jealous because I want a scar to get me some attention. (Aren't you glad I finally commented on your blog.)
Wow! This is beautiful! Tarin, you are beautiful. I can understand how the scar makes you feel. My mom was the same way about hers. She had them almost everywhere and mostly wore turtlenecks and long sleeves in the hot weather in Brazil.
The way I see it, having gone through it as a daughter and not the patient, they were battle scars. She displayed them beautifully as a testimony that she conquered cancer and was still alive to see me become a woman.
Think about the Savior, even as a resurrected being, he still has his.
You are lovely and that is just a plain fact!
Post a Comment