She started running a few months ago and fell in love with it, and recently patiently started attempting to train me. A few days before the Freedom 5K in Provo, I actually ran my first 3 miles without stopping, so at least I knew I COULD do it. The question of desire was still an issue.
See, I wish I loved running, but I just don't. I love weight lifting. I love kickboxing. I love Zumba. Running just isn't going to be my thing. But I think I'll at least try to do another 5K, and probably a 10K in the near future. That's it, folks. No marathons out of this girl. I'm going to enjoy the small victories. And I like my knees.
On July 5th I was lucky enough to run the Freedom 5K with three other ladies in my ward. We got up at 5 am and drove out to Provo, then sat and people watched. Some people do some pretty CRAZY warm up routines and I was wholly entertained. My warm up routine involved sitting in my car with the heater on. The run really was a fun experience. The atmosphere there was fantastic, and running along the parade route really did add some extra motivation. People staring at you while you huff and puff away will do that.
At the end of the route was a pretty steady incline, and I really was thinking I may have to stop and walk for just a second. As that thought occurred to me, I had a very...large...person and a CHILD run by me simultaneously. That's all it took to spur me on to the end.
Pathetic as it may seem, my only goal was to run the entire 5K without stopping. I'm not a runner, people! And I did it and felt proud of myself. So maybe next summer a 10K?
Lisa, Jodi, Gina, and myself...
The starting point...
No comments:
Post a Comment