Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas 2008...

What a great Christmas we had this year! As the girls get older, it's so fun for me to watch their very unique personalities emerge more and more. I think I was at least as excited for Christmas as they were, just because I was so anxious to see the three older girls' reactions.

A quick bit of catch-up...

This past Saturday, we went to a small family reunion in West Valley. We all usually try to get together for Christmas, and we are usually the ones that don't stay too long, (little kids, late lunch, no naps, you know how it is) but it's fun to see everyone for a while! I'm especially glad that the girls got to see their great grandma and grandpa there. We usually see them in the afternoon on Christmas day, but with the scary forecast and all the snow this year, we decided we'd have a nice, quiet Christmas at home.

Great grandma and Emmie...



Grandpa and Claire...



Grandpa and Emmie...



Dennis and his hungry girl...



Shannon and Kaiya (aren't they both beautiful?)...



Grandma and Claire Bear...



Okay, on to the big day...

Christmas morning I got up at 5:30 to get dressed (I know, I know, but I can't get away with the au natural look like I used to) and to start Christmas Brunch. I made a couple of quiches and a sweet croissant casserole, and my were they yummy!

Once I couldn't stand the wait anymore, I woke the girls up at 7:00. I'm probably the only mom in the whole world that had to wake her husband AND kids up on Christmas morning!

The girls were thrilled with their stockings, and you should have seen Emmie's face when I told her she could go ahead and eat her chocolate Santa. It seems that almost every morning, Emmie pesters me all the way until noon asking, "Mom, is it still too early for treats?" My answer is always the same, and she was shocked that on this morning I told her to go for it and have whatever she wanted. Her day was already miraculous...







We then proceeded to open presents. I had a ball watching the girls and their reactions. They were thrilled with everything from a candy cane to a scooter. Emmie even oooed and aaahhed over some new panties. Had I known it'd be that easy, I might have taken it easy on the larger gifts!







After opening presents, my family came over for brunch. It's become a little Christmas tradition, and I love it. I love having my family come here and spend some of the morning with us, and frankly I love being able to stay in my home and let the kids run crazy and enjoy their new toys while we get to be with family. It was lots of fun. Claire said her prayers Christmas night and afterwards I asked, "Claire, what was your favorite thing today?" She replied, "Gamma, gampa, Shnan!" I loved that instead of a new toy, she was still just thrilled that she'd spent the morning with Grandma, Grandpa, and her Aunt Shannon.

Uncle Trent...



Aunt Shannon and Kaiya figuring out the new toy...



Aunt Jenni holding Hayden (who is wearing Trent's new "Strange Brew" hat)...



Grandpa playing with Hayden...



Dennis and Kaiya...






Kaiya's favorite was a dog that is voice activated and can do tricks named "Lucky". Her grandma and grandpa sent her a Leapster, which she has also been playing with all day. We told her she can use the Christmas money from grandparents to go buy a game tomorrow, so we'll be braving the post-Christmas crowds!



Emmie's favorite toy is either the new balance beam and 'nastics mat grandma got her, or a big Sleeping Beauty doll that she's been taking all over the house from her other grandma. We also got her a Lite Brite (remember those?!?) which was probably the dumbest thing I've ever gotten her. I've been picking up little lights ALL DAY LONG. That's definitely going to have to be a toy we try to keep in her room.

The new balance beam!...





Claire is happy with anything and everything. She was so much fun this Christmas. She's my little sweetheart. She has played a lot with her new Dance and Twirl Little People set, mainly when she's in her room and supposed to be napping. I've barely seen her with all the new stuff there is to play with. She's great at just playing by herself and being entertained for hours.

I'm just proud that Hayden is still alive after today. Between all the toys with tiny pieces that Dennis and I are constantly trying to monitor, and the craziness of taking down the tree and Christmas decorations today, (yes, I know I like to get it all down REALLY quickly) I felt like all we did all day long was dig things out of Hayden's mouth. She does her fast little army crawl all around the house and can be incredibly sneaky when she wants to be. She also pulled up on the coffee table for the first time today...and then stood there crying because she was scared and didn't know how to sit down. She is getting too big!!!

Christmas is always a time that I'm reminded what a wonderful family we have. Not only do I get to raise these four wonderful girls, but they are blessed with a multitude of grandparents, aunts, and uncles that love them and spoil them rotten! I love our family for being so good to my girls and for loving them so much. We are so grateful for our family that lives near and our family that lives in Virginia. Thank you all for the gifts and for loving us all through the year! We love love LOVE you all (and y'all)!

Now on to the New Year...

4 comments:

Heather H said...

Merry Christmas to your cute family! It looks like your girls really enjoyed it!

Nik said...

We were dumb enought to travel on Christmas and got snowed in at my brother's house! Your girls look like they had a fun Christmas, Emmie's huge grin always makes me smile!

Sally said...

You are so amazing! Getting up at 5:30! I think that's really cool! We went to bed at 1:30 and the kids woke up at 8:00. Looks like you had a great Christmas!

Paulette said...

Looks like you had a fantastic Christmas. The girls, as always, are wonderful.